By clicking, you acknowledge that you have read and understood the following regulations.

1. Fill out the Online Travel Expense Form.
2. Attach all receipts and other documentation and send via interoffice mail to the Business Office. Remember to have your supervisor approve the claim by signing in the appropriate area. Travel claims will normally be processed in 10 business days after they have been received at the business office. Please ensure the forms are completed correctly to prevent delays in processing. Incomplete forms will be returned without processing.
3. For travel outside Canada and the USA please complete the regular paper copy of the Travel Expense Form. The online form does not accept foreign currencies other than the $US dollar.
4. Do not enter comma's or dollar signs in the input fields.
1. Automobile - when private automobiles are used on university business by staff members and others who receive an allowance based on mileage or otherwise, car owners are advised to check in advance with their own insurance agent to secure an appropriate endorsement to their policy if necessary. Although car owners may be on university business at the time, the University's insurance policies do not cover them personally. Rental of automobiles is not authorized unless cost effective (See (2) Rented Automobile).
i) When a private automobile is used, mileage may be claimed at the rate of $0.32 per kilometer. A daily travel log should be maintained and submitted with the expense claim.
ii) Where claimants travel outside the Maritime Provinces, their claims are to be prepared on the basis of what it would have cost by air, economy rate, for the most direct route. The costs to travel to and from the destination cannot exceed the equivalent air cost at the 7 day advance economy rate.
2. Rented Automobile - proposed rental of automobiles from a car rental agency shall require the express and prior approval of the Dean, Vice President or President as appropriate and will not be authorized unless a saving in cost over other forms of transportation is evident.
3. Airport Trips - If a personal vehicle is used, mileage to the airport will be reimbursed at 200 kilometers return at $0.32 per kilometer. Taxi or limo services may be used and the claimant will only be reimbursed by submitting paid receipts for expenses.
4. Air - air travel by regular airlines operating on a daily schedule shall be at economy rate by the most direct route. Clarification is required for those flights not arranged by the most direct route.
5. Rail - rail fares shall not exceed first class transportation and lower standard berth or roomette.
Meal expense rates are: Breakfast $10.00, Lunch $12.00, Dinner $18.00 . When meals are consumed outside of Canada, the prior rates will be reimbursed using the current US dollar exchange rate.
Note: In the case of international travel outside Canada and the United States, the Federal Government rates for meals will be in effect. These rates change from time to time and may be found at the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat website in Appendix D at:
i) The University rate should be requested for all accommodations. It is the responsibility of the traveler to make all arrangements. Reasonable expenses when supported by a detailed hotel bill are allowable. When reservations are guaranteed, it is the responsibility of the traveler to cancel such reservations should that become necessary. The university will not reimburse for unused reservations. The Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO) has negotiated reduced rates with many national and international hotel chains in most major centres. Rates and information regarding national and international hotel chains can be obtained by contacting the Purchasing Department or by checking the CAUBO website at
ii) When submitting accommodations expenses for reimbursement, meals, telephone, and other room charges should be separated from the room bill, this will save time in the processing of claims and expedite reimbursement.
iii)When travelers stay with relatives or friends, a maximum daily allowance of $25.00 per night in Canada and $25.00 per night in the US or other countries may be claimed without receipts for actual costs incurred or paid to your host for accommodations. The relevant dates should be specified.
Claimants will not be reimbursed for alcoholic beverages.
Long distance charges are to be shown separately.
Laundry, dry-cleaning and/or valet charges will not be allowed unless absence is in excess of five days.
Gratuities are to be detailed as to meals, porters and red caps, etc.
All entertainment expenses should be submitted separately on an Entertainment Voucher Form (orange form).
When claiming expenses on research grants, the university will honour whatever the granting agency allows, subject to having written confirmation of the allowance.
Original receipts (credit card or debit card slips are not acceptable) are required for all fares, hotel and in general for all items except meals, telephone calls or gratuities. Receipts are not required for taxi and bus fares under $5.00.
Where additional outside financial assistance is received, the source and amount shall be indicated on this form.
Foreign travel expense should be reported in the foreign currency amount to match submitted receipts. The claimant will be reimbursed in Canadian dollars only. A credit card statement can be included to support the foreign currency conversion rate. The US dollar daily rate obtained by the Bank of Montreal will be used in the absence of a credit card statement.
By clicking, you acknowledge that you have read and understood the above regulations.